Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, September 21, 2015

Picture Prompt

I'm going with another picture prompt this week.  This one is intentionally vague, just look at it and see what it brings to mind.
 
 
 
Enjoy!
 
******************************************************************************
 
My response:
 
I stepped into the hall, my head held high, my stomach in knots. 
First, greet Lady Bensen ...
My aunt's voice hissed in my mind. 
Don't goggle like a hick ...
I was glad I'd learned enough to take her seriously.  The Bensen ballroom was the largest I'd entered in my life, and if I hadn't been warned, I would have stopped in the doorway, staring like the country raised innocent I was.  Luckily, I had more sense than that. 
The people.  Focus on the people.
I turned to the doorman, who gestured towards Lady Bensen, indicating she was free for introductions.  I made eye contact with her and stepped forward, holding my hand out to her. 
Grasp firmly, smile politely, but do not break eye contact.  Lady Bensen despises simpering.
Maybe she despises it, but she definitely inspires it.  Her steely gaze moved up and down my dress, taking in every pleat and pearl.  My face, jewelry, and hair received the same attention.  I knew I was flawless.  Otherwise I would have been tempted to check myself in the mirror.
Lady Bensen did not smile.  She did speak.  "Miss Ange Le'Mark.  Recently returned from the frontier, I believe.  Your aunt must have had quite the time getting your outfit up to par in time for the season."
Do not break eye contact.
"Not at all.  We Le'Marks are always very particular about our wardrobes.  We have a family tailor, and he keeps us always in the highest fashion."
Her eyebrow twitched.  "Is that so?"  She waited like a spider, ready to spring if I were to flinch or falter.  I did not.
Then she gave a slight nod and motioned towards the dancers.  "Do enjoy your evening."
I turned away, moving into the crowd. 
I'd passed the first test. 
Now for the second.


No comments:

Post a Comment