Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Hallucinations

Our prompt for this week come from my writing group.  On of my good friends shared the quote and suggested it would make a very nice prompt, so here it is.

"Maybe hallucinations are just another reality that we don't see most of the time ”
― Lynne Ewing

It reminded me of 3:59 (Which is the title of the book, and always leaves me wondering, how do I write an entirely numeric title in all caps to indicate it's a title?!!!) by Gretchen McNeil.  Ok, so in her book, the alternate reality is in a mirror, and only at two specific minutes out of each day, but still.

Anyway, enjoy!

*********************************************************************************

My response:

Robert stopped as he crossed the quad, stooping down to pick a stray flower that had somehow managed to sprout up in the grass instead of in the flower box.  It was a little forget-me-not, its pale blue petals faded from the direct sun.

He walked right up to me, and Kami threw me a quick smile before snatching up her backpack and hurrying off towards the student center.  Robert didn't seem to notice her, though most of the guys within eyeshot did, eyeing her toned calves and curtain of blond hair as she hurried off.

I never stopped traffic like that.  But today, Robert stopped.  His eyes met mine as he held the flower out to me.  When he spoke, it was with the clear tones of a deep woodwind.  "Can I call you tonight?"

I took the flower and nodded, and in a moment, he was gone.

Kami pinched my thigh, hard.  I flinched and swatted at her, but she ducked away too quickly.

"Are you staring at Robert again?!" She demanded in a whisper. 

I looked up at Robert's back as he made his way towards the edge of campus.

"No!" I lied.

"Well, don't!" Kami said, pulling a sandwich out of her bag.  "You know he's bad news."

I sighed and dropped my eyes, then I sucked in a sharp breath.

Pinched between my fingers, pale in the glare of the sun, was a small, blue forget-me-not.

No comments:

Post a Comment