Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, July 13, 2015

Dream Vacation

In honor of summer, I think it'd be fun to do a prompt about vacations.  It doesn't have to be elaborate.  If your dream vacation is the basement of a library, go with it.  Have fun.

This week's prompt: Dream Vacation

********************************************************************************

My response:

Coming over the hill, the brine floats in on the wind.  I roll the window down and let it in, sucking it into my soul.  My fingers on the steering wheel tingle in anticipation and chills run down the backs of my arms.  I hit the main boulevard and turn left, heading towards the docks.  Dunes block the view I long to see, but I'm close enough now to hear the waves, and they call to me.

All at once, the dunes end.  I get a quick glimpse of blue before I hit the buildings.  Old warehouses and brick shops line the road leading up to the dock.  Most of them have been turned into souvenir shops and ice cream stands, but the history of Cannery Row shines through, though the packing machines have long since stilled.

I drive on until I get to the beach and pull into the lot.  A pair of divers stand in the showers, rinsing out their gear.  One of them laughs and pulls a sprig of seaweed off the other's mask.  My tank sits in my trunk, unfilled, so I'll have to wait to get in the water, but I can walk out on the levee.  Sea gulls dive and swirl in the sky, and sea lions lay like lazy pigs in the sun.

I wish I could stay forever.

(One day I will get back to Monterrey Bay ... )

No comments:

Post a Comment