Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, July 6, 2015

Closed

Today I got my kids in their swimsuits and all sunscreened up, only to get to the pool and find it closed for maintenance.  Lucky for me, milkshakes put smiles back on the kids' faces, and the pool will be open tomorrow.  But I thought it was a good start for a prompt.

Prompt:  What is the worst place to find closed?

Enjoy!

********************************************************************************

My response:

Nothing like a bout of food poisoning to take you down the week before your wedding.  All the last minute decisions, all the things we'd failed to think of beforehand, all the excitement of our friends getting into town got lost as I lay, in soft, lovely blankets my fiancé got for me, on the floor of the bathroom.  Curse that roadside stand, and curse my brother for telling us it had the best tamales in town.

I missed my dress fitting.  I was supposed go in and make sure the final alterations were good, then take it home on Wednesday.  With the wedding on Saturday, I felt like we'd have plenty of time. 

Tuesday night we ate the tamales.

By the dawn of Wednesday, I was in the fifth circle of hell, and going to my fitting didn't seem as important as my impending death.

Thursday, I was feeling well enough to complain about my fate.

Friday, since I wasn't dead, I figured I needed to drag my decimated self from the bathroom to my own bed.  My mom and my three sisters were only too glad to "handle everything" for me ... something I would never have handed over, if I hadn't seen my life flash before my eyes. 

Saturday dawned, and after a shower, I felt nearly human.  The wedding was at 11am.  The dress store opened at 9am.  Assuming the alterations were okay, and reluctantly handing over the preparations for the morning to my mom again, I should have been able to pick up the dress and get back in plenty of time.

When I saw the sign, I wished the food poisoning had killed me off.

"Due to illness (our entire staff), Kelsie's Bridal is closed until further notice."

No comments:

Post a Comment