Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, June 1, 2015

Time

This post comes from my life this last weekend.  First I had the school carnival to help put on (two years of PTA VP done, and pass the baton to someone new!) and then I had the half marathon I've been training for (whoever invented this form of self-torture?!).  Both were things we'd been building up to for months, and then, suddenly, it's all over.  Thursday morning to Monday morning, and it feels like there was barely an hour in between.  All I have left is memories.  (Not true.  I have a new thank-you rose bush, a shiny medal and t-shirt, and a body full of complaining muscles.)

Also, my girls only have three days left in this school year.

The prompt for this week:  Time flew by.  She caught moments here and there, but mostly it swirled around her like a windstorm, ever circling, never stopping.

Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************

My response:

(I'm thinking a poem today ... Hmmm.  I never like my poems when I read them again ...)

Ode to a Half Marathon

Adrenaline
Neon Rayon Short Shorts
Port a Potties
Starting Line
Hope

Heart Pumping
Short Steps
Bumping Elbows
One Step Closer
Thrill

Rhythm
Rolling Hills
Conversation
River and Trees
Capable

Discomfort
Water Station
Cheering Crowd
Stretch Break
Stubborn

Soreness
Old Man Passing
Hill of Death
Gatorade is Manna
Too late to stop

Pain
"Just around the Corner!"
Popping joints
Can't breathe.
Finish line

Numb
Finisher's Medal
Group Hugs
Chocolate Milk
Done

Do I really have to walk to the car?

(How is this related to time, you ask?  Probably because it really did seem to fly by.  I expected to see my family at mile 6, so I was looking forward to that.  As I passed that point I realized we were nearly half done already.  Then again, miles 11 and 12 seemed endless, but still, they passed and it's all over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment