Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, March 16, 2015

Science Fiction

Usually when I'm stalking literary agents before querying, if someone likes sci-fi, they're a good fit for my work.  Lately, though, I've actually run into a few agents who state loud and clear that they rep science fiction ... NOT fantasy.  My writing typically takes the two genres and blends them together.

Then I had a friend share a link to this:  http://www.authorspublish.com/asimovs-science-fiction/

(Side note:  I know I'm supposed to be submitting short stories to magazines like this to build up my writing credits, but my stories tend to come in chunks of 80k words ...)

I've been playing with the idea of trying to write a short sci-fi story, just to see if I can.  So, with no further ado, the prompt for the week is to write a short science fiction piece. 

Enjoy!

********************************************************************************

My response:

The old sci fi movies always seem to start with a music from the seventies or eighties, some old cassette or VHS playing while the hero works on the engine of some hulking, rusty-but-trusty spaceship.  The truth is, all that old, film media died out in the first century after space travel began.  Sure, we still have some dvds, blue-rays, and cds ... but I prefer to work in silence.

Of course, the silence of a space ship isn't complete.  Dad used to compare it to sitting in a forest on a planet.  He said, if you sit still and listen, you can hear the wind in the trees, the chirping of birds, the whir of insect wings.  It's just like my ship.  The groan of the metal struts, the chirp of monitors, the whir of life support.  I can shut my eyes and listen for hours.  A full hold of supplies, my dad's old ship, and I don't need anything else.

I've been hanging out at the edges of the President Quadrant lately.  In spite of it's name, it's not the nicest place.  It's the furthest reach of both the Kari Nation and the Alaman Republic, but far enough away from both of them that it stays quiet.  I haven't seen anyone in weeks, which is great for me.  I don't consume much energy on my own, and I've been alone for the last three years.

(This interruption is brought to you by a case of food poisoning.  Or sudden onset of the flu.  Or Norovirus.  Either way, after letting it sit all day on my computer, I've decided I'll have to come back to this later.)

*UPDATED* I did come back to this, and the first thing I did was completely rewrite the first paragraph.  Now I'm nearly at 2k words, and I'm really pleased with the way the story is developing.  I'll put out an update if I find someone to publish it.

2nd Update: I did finish the story at 3k.  I'll get it cleaned up some more and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment