Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tension

Ok, so it's Wednesday morning and I just realized I forgot to post on Monday.  I have been so wrapped up in my latest project, and every moment I get to write, I'm diving back into that world with those characters. Writing a blog post fell completely off my radar. 

Here's the thing: In the first novel I finished, I got to one of the climactic moments, and writing became ... intense.  The emotions, the action, the reactions of each of the characters, the roiling emotions of my main character, and the continuing action ... it was thick.  I would sit down at the computer for an hour and barely squeeze out 200 or so words (coming from someone who can lay down 1,500 in a good hour, when things are moving well).  I knew what I wanted to write and where I wanted it to go, but the progress was so agonizingly slow!  I would read the last few paragraphs I'd written, to remind myself where I was, then spend time tweaking them to make them just right (I know they say you shouldn't do that with a first draft, but sorry, it's just the way I write) then write another 200-400 words and find myself drained.  (Do you know what I mean?  Creatively drained?)

Here's the good part: back then my critique group was working on a chapter by chapter basis, and when I turned that chapter over to them, they loved it!  I was so worried the struggle I'd fought to write it would come out in the writing, that it would be awkward or confusing.  Nope.  They loved it.  And reading through it again and again, while revising, I can honestly say I think some of my best writing is in that chapter.

I can only hope I will be able to look back and say the same for the chapter I've been working on this last week.  It has kidnapping, betrayal, a (hopefully) thrilling chase, and even a pack of wild dogs.  I get SO excited about it!

In honor of my manuscript, the prompt this week is:  When you can't flee, you fight.

Enjoy!

*******************************************************************************

My response:

(First, a confession - I came very close to just posting part of this last chapter I've been working on and calling it good, but in the spirit of this blog, I won't do that.  I'll write something else.)

My feet pounded the wet pavement of the alleyway, and I cursed the rain.  Even if they couldn't see me in the shadows, they would hear the splashing and know I was there.  I dared a glance over my shoulder, but it only confirmed what I already knew: I hadn't lost them yet.  The only thing I'd managed to do was get myself lost.  They knew just where they were, though.  I heard Kirk's high laugh behind me before I turned the corner and saw the brick building.  Who had even designed this place?  Who let someone build right up to the edges of their lot, blocking off the way completely?

I cursed and spun around.  Nothing but a few trash bags and flattened cardboard boxes sitting outside a steel door that had a padlock hanging from it, not even windows.  I heard footsteps turn the corner behind me, and my stomach tightened into a rock.  I turned, my fists coming up automatically as my knees bent.  Seeing Kirk and his three cronies made me want to step back, but I knew that was a bad idea.  The alley was tight enough without putting my back to the wall.

"You think you're some kind of hero, going off to college, do you?" Kirk drawled.  "You too good for us, now?"

I shook my head.  "You know that's not it, Kirk."  I wondered for just a moment what my chances of talking my way out were, but I settled on zero.  If Kirk had really wanted to talk, we could have done that outside the theater.  At least I'd gotten Becca to safety before it came to this.

Kirk charged.  He'd never had much finesse.  He didn't even take a swing, trying instead to ram his shoulder into my stomach.  He wanted me down.  I sidestepped and took an easy shot to his kidney as he went past.

He stood up and spun around, eyes wide.  That was the first time in our lives that move hadn't worked.  "Punk!"  This time, he came swinging, but sidestepping wasn't the only thing I'd learned while I was away.  I blocked with my left arm and brought my right fist up into his jaw.  I felt the impact of his bones slamming together, and my heart faltered.  My arm, however, carried through, driven by muscle memory and hours of repetition. 

Kirk's whole body rose up with the impact, and then he was flat out on the asphalt in front of me.  His eyes were closed, and he didn't make a noise.  I looked over him at the boys who'd been his shadows.  They looked at Kirk's still body, then at each other, and turned, running off into the shadows.

"Brilliant."  I cursed my conscience.  Kirk spent three days tailing me, and when I finally laid him out flat, I couldn't even just walk away.  Maybe it would be different if we hadn't grown up together, but if I leave him and something happens, I would never be able to look his mom in the eye again.

I reached down, slipping my arm under his shoulders and pulling him up.  I smacked his face with my free arm, and he moaned.

"Come on, Kirk, come on.  Let's get you home." 

No comments:

Post a Comment