Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, June 23, 2014

The water flowed ...

I'm keeping it simple today.  The prompt is: Finally, it burst, and the water flowed ...

Enjoy!

*******************************************************************************

My response:

They were all over pinterest.  My friends were blogging about the ones they made.  My own children ogled the pictures, practically drooling, bouncing on the balls of their feet and begging me to make one for them.

A water blob.

My husband gave me a blank stare when I told him what I planned to do.  "A what?!"

I have to admit, it did sound like a horror movie from the 1950s.  But I was going to try anyway.  It was supposed to be easy!

It was not supposed to bust before I'd even finished filling it.

I'd done what the directions told me to.  I bought thick painter's plastic.  I folded it in half and ironed around the open edges, sealing the two layers together.  I left a little hole open to insert the hose.  And I dumped a whole bottle of blue food coloring into the thing, to make it look pretty.

None of the other mothers complained about the edges of the blob getting weak and cracking along the seam where they'd ironed it.  They didn't have problems with the plastic stretching thin and springing leaks after their children walked on it with their shoes on (and yes, I did tell them to get off, but sometimes they insist on learning by first-hand experience).

Finally, it burst, and the water flowed out of the plastic blob and onto the grass.  And the kids ... well, they had a blast.  You'd have thought it was supposed to break and spill out from the giggles and jubilation from my crew. 

Pinterest fail.

Mommy win.

I think we'll do this again next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally it burst, and the water flowed,
    Into the garden, through the wood.
    Down the paths where men once strode,
    Over the dais where the queen had stood.
    Only minutes past, her subjects before,
    She rose to address the joyful throng,
    The wonderful people she did adore,
    With her melodious voice, so like a song.

    But, even as her discourse grew,
    The dam had weakened, sloughed, and caved,
    ‘til the wind and tide came rushing through,
    Threatening all with a watery grave.
    To all who stood, in rapt attention,
    The howling wind seemed small and weak,
    The ocean hardly deserved a mention,
    Compared to the queen, with rosy cheek.

    And when the water finally broke
    The flimsy walls which held it back,
    Then all the colorful, joyous folk,
    Were pushed together in a stack.
    Soon the battlements began to fall
    And the great tall keep began to crack.
    The water came rushing through the hall;
    The tide began to take it all back.

    And so the castle, built of sand,
    Was washed away, far out to sea.
    While the children who had set their hand
    To build the structure, set it free,
    And ran with imaginations wild
    To a new adventure, up the shore,
    Leaving only footprints, so like a child,
    To show what creations had been before.

    ReplyDelete