Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, March 31, 2014

Camp Stories

This week's post is a shameless plug for one of my favorite non-profits: NaNoWriMo ... specifically, their summer time "camp" style equivalent, Camp NaNoWriMo.  Now, I know NaNo has a bad reputation in the publishing world.  The reason I'm such a fan is because of the spirit of NaNo; the idea that you need to stop putting off writing as something to do "one day" and to just do it.

In all honesty, I was half way through my first novel when I discovered NaNo, so I like to think I'd be a novelist without it.  BUT, I also think NaNo gave me confidence I didn't have before.  After that first year, writing 50,000 words in a month, I didn't just dream of writing a novel, I knew I could.

Of course, the main problem the publishing industry has with NaNo is the hordes of people who finish that first draft and think they're suddenly a literary genius, and I have to agree with them there.  Every first draft needs revising ... lots of revising ... and critique partners, beta readers, whatever you want to call them.  And then more revising.

Now that I've gone off on that tangent, I'm happy to announce that I'm participating in Camp NaNo this April.  You can set your own word count goals for Camp NaNo, so I set mine at 30,000 - just enough to make good progress on my current work-in-progress.

2014 Participant - Twitter Header 1

Hence, the prompt this week:  Camp stories.  It doesn't have to be your typical summer camp.  Maybe you went to music camp, ballet camp, or even writing camp.  Whichever kind of camp you attended, share your stories! (Or, of course, your fiction. Have fun!)

*******************************************************************************

My response:

I got back to the dorms and headed straight to my bed without even pulling off my leotard and tights.  We only had two hours until afternoon classes - it had taken me about fifteen minutes to eat, and now I had one hour forty-five minutes to sleep.  I wasn't going to miss one second of shut-eye if I didn't have to.

My bed was soft, and I buried my head in my pillow.  I could feel the slight bulge in my stomach from my lunch.  Hopefully I would digest while I slept, and Madame Pinion wouldn't notice in class.  Still, I knew I was lucky.  My mom and dad were both tall, thin beanpoles, so what do you expect their offspring to be?  Bony.  There's no nice term for it, I was as skinny as an anorexic runway model, no matter what I ate.  Thank heavens!  I love to eat almost as much as I love ballet.  Almost.  But I'm sure I'd starve myself if I had to ...

I shut my eyes, and the only sound I could hear was the beating of my heart.  Thump ... whoosh.  Thump ... whoosh.  Thump ... whoosh.  It felt strong.  I felt a surge of pride.  I'd been working hard, dancing ten to eleven hours a day for the past six weeks, and my body reflected it.  I was strong.  Flexible.  Capable.  And I had a good shot at one of the solo slots for the final performance. 

Thump ... whoosh.  Thump ... whoosh.  I let my mind go blank, so I would fall asleep.  Thump ... whoosh.  Then there was something else.  My body jerked, and I groaned at being snapped back to consciousness.  The sound was soft and hissing.  My mind cleared.  Sobbing.  Gasping and sobbing.  It came from the communal bathroom.  I rolled my eyes and relaxed into my mattress.  Was it really my problem?

Stupid conscience.  It wasn't about to let me sleep.  I rolled back out of bed and padded towards the open door.  The sobbing got louder.  I started to wonder who it was and sifted through the faces who'd sat next to me at lunch, drinking diet cokes and picking at romaine lettuce with no dressing.  I stopped at the door and peered in.

Sasha.  Of course, it would be Sasha, the one girl in my dorm I'd rather kick in the face than console.  She sat with her back against the wall, legs pulled up in front of her, her face buried in her hands, still in her leotard and tights, like me.  Her body shook with sobs, her chest heaving ... unlike the rest of us, Sasha actually had a chest.  We wouldn't have cared at all, if she hadn't flaunted it in our faces and used it to get Marcel  to favor her.

I didn't have shoes on, so it was possible she hadn't heard me coming.  I leaned back out of the bathroom, contemplating my escape.  Her sobbing paused.

"Go ahead.  Laugh.  I know none of you will be sad to see me go!"

"Go?"  The word popped out without any thought on my part, but an image flashed in my mind: Marcel calling Sasha over after morning class and telling her Madam Pinion needed to speak to her.

Sasha didn't look up, but her shoulders shook again with silent sobs.  "Oh what do you know!  Your acceptance was never probational!"

"Probational?"  I'd heard of that, but no one I'd talked to had mentioned being on probation.  Everyone here was good - you had to be, just to get accepted.

Sasha looked up, her eyes bright with tears, cheeks flushed.  "I'm too fat, you idiot!  'Lose ten pounds' they tell me, and I haven't eaten anything in months!  And now it's 'Well, it seems ten pounds wasn't enough ...'  Those skanks!"  Then her anger melted into misery, her eyes rolled back, and she turned her back to me, rolling into a ball on the bathroom floor.

I realized my mouth hung open and shut it.  I felt like I ought to say something ... but what was there to say?  Five minutes ago, I would have cheered to hear she was leaving.  Now the thought made me sick to my stomach ... my perfectly flat stomach, complete with protruding ribcage.

I didn't have anything to say, but there was something I could do.  I went to find the rest of the girls and make sure they steered clear of the dorm until Sasha had a chance to pack up and leave.  The last thing she needed was us gawking at her.  And I could get myself something else to eat - my stomach was already rumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment