Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, February 3, 2014

Austen

I recently became aware of a Regency Romance Ball being held in Salt Lake City this year.  I immediately fantasizing about going (fantasizing because there's no way I'd be able to make a dress between now and then, and also because my husband would never go with me). 

I will admit, I came upon Jane Austen late in my life.  I was nineteen before one of my college roommates found out I'd never read Jane Austen, but she quickly piled Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Persuasion in my arms and told me I wasn't truly educated until I'd read them.  She waited (semi-patiently) until I'd finished, then sat me down to watch all five hours of the BBC Price and Prejudice (best watched late at night with all your swooning girlfriends, btw). 

I was in love.

And I know I'm not the only one.  Just say the name "Colin Firth" in a group of women, and watch the sly smiles break out. 

As I spread the word about the ball to my friends, one of them turned to me and asked if I'd ever read AUSTENLAND by Shannon Hale.  I finished it in one evening.  I like Shannon Hale already, and this one was clever and fun.  My friend also suggested reading any of Georgette Heyer's books.  I hopped on my local library website and reserved FREDERICA.  True, I'm only just over 100 pages in, but I keep stopping to read passages aloud to my husband (who actually listens and chuckles, which goes to show how clever the writing is.

It's only natural in the midst of all this Regency literature that I make that my prompt for this week.

Prompt:  Empire waist dresses, English gentlemen, and spunky, clever women.

***********************************************************************

My response:

(Disclaimer: I am sick as a dog today.  I've been lying in bed listening to my husband clean up after my children and wishing my head would stop pounding.  I make no claims as to how good my writing will be in this condition.)

Miss Annaliese Park sat near the front window watching the rain stream down.  Two weeks of this dreary weather, and she'd had enough of trimming bonnets, reading books, and practicing the pianoforte.  Her legs refused to rest silently beneath her skirts, and she found herself constantly sighing.

Lady Park sat in a nearby lounge, snoring.

In truth, Annaliese knew she didn't have it so terribly bad.  She'd watched Lady Park hound her older sisters, making them practice drawing, painting, singing, pianoforte, French, and German, like a regular tutor.  There were a few advantages to being the twelveth child, and eighth daughter.  Not many, but to have Lady Park sit and snore instead of snapping the ruler down across the desk was certainly preferable.

It would also be preferable to have any of her siblings at home to keep her company this dreary winter.  Alice and Mary both married at the end of last season, and Peter, the closest to Annaliese in age, had been sent to school this year.  The rest of them were all long gone, though Clarice and Maybell often asked for Annaliese to spend a week or two with them, and Annaliese missed them dearly.

Lord Park's carriage came through the front gate and made its way up the long drive, bordered on both sides with large oak and walnut trees.  It turned in the circle, coming to the front of the house.  Annaliese sighed.  If Lord Park was home, she'd be expected to appear for dinner, rather than having her abigail bring it up to her in her room, where she could eat in the company of a good book.

Lord Park, covered with a long, black overcoat and hat which were both spattered horrible with dark, red mud, stepped from the carriage, then turned.  A second gentleman stepped out.  His overcoat was grey, making the muck all the more evident, his mud-crusted boots were of the latest fashion, and even from her window seat, Annaliese could tell his valet was skilled in tying a cravat just so.  His features were classic, with the jutting brow and high cheekbones of a Roman soldier, but his wide smile cast an air of joy to the angles.

Annaliese's book fell with a thump to the ground, and she hurried to pick it up before her father came sweeping into the drawing room.  She ought to have moved to warn her mother, but the thought didn't occur to her until it was too late.  Luckily the stamp of wet boots in the front hall set Lady Park stirring, so she looked tolerably alert when the two gentlemen entered.

"Look here, my dear," Lord Park's voice echoed as he strode in, "Just see what I have found on the side of the road!  This poor fellow's carriage got caught in a small mudslide just a mile down the main road, broke both his axels and three of his wheels, though he managed to calm his team well enough.  Branson will be bringing them along presently, and I told Lord Alsby that I have a man who can set it all to rights.  He won't be more than a week delayed, and in the meantime, we will have some life in this old house again!"

Lord Alsby smiled as he scanned the room.  When his gaze fell on Annaliese, a knowing look fell over his features.  Lord Park had a daughter of marriageable age, and Lord Alsby was a gentleman of the first circles.  His lips pressed together in a frown.

Annaliese read the change in his countenance as easily as she read her books.  Only one season out, but one was enough.  She allowed her father to make introductions, but returned to her book even before they could make excuses about their dirtied clothing and excuse themselves to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment