Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, January 20, 2014

Classic High Fantasy

I was a fantasy nerd growing up - Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, and Orson Scott Card were my favorite story tellers. But I somehow missed out on one of the most amazing sagas of the nineties - Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

I only came around to reading it now because of my obsession with Brandon Sanderson (brilliant author in his own right) who finished Robert Jordan's series. My husband read the book first and gave me a run-down on it, but I've only recently picked it up myself. My husband keeps asking me, "What do you think?"

Honestly? It's starting to make me nostalgic. It fits the "fantasy" model so beautifully (maybe because it was part of the original mold ...), and I'm loving watching the story unfold. There's the orphan, the spunky side-kick, a beautiful sorceress, dark, twisted creatures on the dark side, and shadowy figures with cloaks on dark horses. What's not to love?!

And so I feel inspired to do a high fantasy prompt.


Larger Image
So, there you go.  The prompt for this week is this dragon.  Enjoy!
**************************************************************************
My response:
Kiera led the pair of sheep across the castle green.  They shied and pulled skittishly on their ropes now and then, but they were docile creatures, and easily guided.  Almost, she felt guilty.  They trusted the shepherds and other people who had looked after them, and they saw her as no different.  But she was about to betray their trust.
Li'Aia was hungry, but she had the curtesy to wait until Kiera set the ewes into the small enclosure before descending on the beasts in a flurry of flapping wings and flashing jaws.  Skillfully, she pinned one kicking bundle beneath a claw while her teeth tore into the other.  In a matter of moments, it was over.
More? Li'Aia asked.
No.  Kiera shook her head sadly.  That is all they would give me today.
Kiera stretched out her hand and Li'Aia reached her scaly head, red in the fading sunlight, though she was more of a gold color, to meet it.  Kiera sighed, pulling a rag from her belt and started wiping at Li'Aia's muzzle, wiping the gore away.  Again she felt the nagging guilt tug at her.  She was no noblewoman with lands and herds to feed a dragon.  It had been arrogant of her to sneak into the hatchery to catch a glimpse of the dragon eggs.
Her thoughts were disturbed by the trumpeting of the heralds.  The castle doors opened, and a train of people emerged.  The women were dressed in sparkling brocades and silks, the men in fine suits.  Marching in the center was the Princess Adelaide.
 
In the next enclosure, the black dragon Markag fluttered his wings and preened.  Kiera couldn't hear his voice in her head, as she was only bonded with Li'Aia, but she didn't need to hear him to know he was calling to the Princess.  All for naught.  Princess Adelaide only crinkled her pretty nose at the smell of the dragon yard, then turned away, leading her ladies after her.
Markag always had enough to eat, and he sat his watch and flew his missions, but his bondswoman probably wouldn't have noticed if he'd disappeared.
No, but maybe you will catch some bandits tonight and be allotted another calf as reward? Kiera suggested. 
Maybe I will!  Li'Aia said.  And nevermind that you cannot buy me another lamb.  At least I don't have to clean my face with the straw after I eat.  It's very prickly.
Kiera laughed.  She'd never expected an egg to hatch while she was there, and she hadn't known enough about bonding to keep away until they had fetched a nobleman or noblewoman to bond with the thing.  But her regrets were not for herself, they were for Li'Aia.  Kiera, bonded to a dragon, was too valuable to allow to starve.  But Li'Aia, bonded to a peasant, had to settle for what the king allowed her for her service.

1 comment:

  1. GORGEOUS picture! So Asha like, if I wasn't burned out on writing (and re-writing) dragons I'd have a great response to this :)

    ReplyDelete