Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, December 2, 2013

Gotham Garden

Let's go with a photo prompt again.  (Honestly, I've been so caught up with NaNo that I didn't have a clue what I was going to do for this week's prompt until I sat down. Maybe it's better this way, as it's a surprise for me, too.)

Digital Blasphemy has a free page where they rotate through some of their wallpapers that you can download without even being a member.  That's where I got the picture for this week:

"Gotham Garden - Autumn"
(I hesitated to put the title here - I hope it doesn't influence what you think of the picture.)

Gotham Garden (Autumn)

Enjoy!

***************************************************************************

My response:

The crisp autumn breeze caught my hair as I stepped out the front door of the building.  I slowed my steps as I lifted my hands, catching the long, silky strands in my fingers and slipping them into an elastic.  My feet started on their way home while I was distracted, but when I finished securing my hair, I looked around. 

I liked working late shift.  I got to sleep in early, I didn't have to show up to work until 2pm, and I got off at 11pm, when most of the city had already gone to bed.  I loved walking home with the streets all to myself.  I could pretend it all belonged to me.  My city.

The glass and steel buildings gleamed in the moonlight, lights off in most of the windows.  If my history classes were right, that was a huge accomplishment.  Cities like this used to buzz all night, first with the after work crews, then with those who didn't know when to stop, and finally, the people who preyed on those who didn't know when to stop.  Those were trecherous days ... or so they told us.

But I had a hard time seeing my city as anything different than it was.  Clean, quiet, peaceful. 

That was about to change.

(This is where my mind launches off into "How are they all peaceful now?  Genetic modification?  Implants that zap them whenever they have violent thoughts?  Is it a Matrix scenario where the people in charge unplug anyone who causes trouble?  Or maybe they're just all afraid of Batman?  So many possibilities, so little time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment