Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, September 30, 2013

Four-letter Words

As far as cursing is concerned in literature, I think it has its place.  I think it can be an enriching part of world building; Brandon Sanderson does a fantastic job of developing the religions and mythologies of his worlds, and he incorporates that into how the characters swear.  Even in Christian novels, not all of the characters are always Christian, and eventually, someday, sometime, someone is going to swear.

BUT ... I think there are tactful and creative ways of swearing in our stories.  For example, I like to read the Pioneer Woman's blog. One of her latest posts had me laughing when she said, "I said one of the four-letter words that is permitted on some TV networks but that isn’t appropriate when one is sitting with an open Bible on one’s lap."

There are so many ways of cursing without cursing.
" ... he swore under his breath."
"Mom stubbed her toe and a cried out a word I didn't even know she knew."
" ... cursing rapidly ..."
" ... using language that would make a gangsta blush ..."

So, the prompt for this week is to write a short passage and incorporate swearing ... without swearing.  Good luck!

***********************************************************************

My response:

The wind tore through my hoodie and I shivered.  I don't know what possessed me to leave my bed and come out on a night like this, but Darrel had been so insistent.  Leaves crunched underneath my converse and I actually heard an owl in the trees.  It was just like a scene from a horror movie, right down to my pesky little brother who I had to bring along when he caught me sneaking out and Darrel's hot girlfriend, Stacy.  How could she wear those shorts in this weather?  Her thighs must be ice by now.  Why'd Darrel have to bring her along anyway?  All she ever did was complain about hanging out with us.

Kevin cursed next to me, then hopped around on one foot. 

Darrel glowered at him, "Dude, keep quiet!"

Kevin stopped and wiped his shoe furiously across a patch of damp grass.  "I don't know what that is, but it smells like ..."

I swatted him with the back of my hand, "Watch it, Kev, my baby brother's here."  The last thing I needed was for Brad to tell Mom where he got his new vocabulary.

Stacy murmured something.  Luckily the wind carried away most of it, but I heard enough to know she was making fun of me.  Not only did she have to come along, but she couldn't keep her mouth shut either.

I had a few choice words for her, and I was too ticked at Darrel for making us come tonight to care about  setting him off.  I let Stacy know exactly what I thought of her.

When I was done, Brad stomped up next to me, turned a vicious gaze on Stacy, and repeated every word that had just come out of my mouth. 

Kevin and Darrel threw their heads back laughing.  So much for keeping his vocabulary pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment