Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, August 26, 2013

Where would you go?

I went to Barnes and Noble tonight.  Just driving in the parking lot gave me a thrill.  Walking in the door, I got a whiff of fresh-printed ink and spine glue, and it was like heaven!  My sister, who has always been much cooler than I am, used to make fun of my friends and me for hanging out at B&N on weekends.  But for us, where else could you possibly want to be?

It reminded me of those middle grade novels you read where kids live in the mall or in a grocery store, and I decided, if I were to escape life and just hide out somewhere, I would choose B&N. 

The prompt for this week:
Where would you hide?

***************************************************************************

My response:

Stand on the toilet seat, so they can't see your feet.  Crouch down, so they don't see your head.  Leave the door open, so they don't suspect anyone might be hiding there.  Make sure you pee before you get into position, because squatting over the toilet ... well, psychologically, it can get to you.  Oh, and bring a book.  You may be there for a while.

Tonight I clutched a hardback to my chest as I balanced on the toilet.  The manager had already been through to make sure no one was left in the room, so I'd passed that hurdle.  The short cashier always stopped in after locking the door, before counting her drawer.  She'd already come and gone.  I only had to keep it up for another ten minutes or so, for the blond one to stop in just before they all headed out the back entrance.

I eased the book open, cradling it in my lap and wishing I'd picked a paperback.  The pages were thinner and turned more quietly, and usually the words were printed smaller, so I had more to read between page turns.

And that mattered, because here came the blond.  I'd almost finished the second page when she walked in, and I didn't dare turn to the next while she was in here with me.  That was the one problem with hiding out in the restroom.  Everything echoed.

I stared at the bottom of the second page, anxious for her to leave, less so that I could finally climb down, and more because I was dying to see what happened next.  At last, she left.  I eased down off the seat and sat, devouring my book. 

Ah, heaven!  Another night with no one, absolutely no one, to disturb me, and a whole bookstore to choose from.  I was never going home!

2 comments:

  1. I can't do anything creative today, since I was up way too late ingesting far too much sugar at the fair last night, so here's my boring response:
    I escape mentally to my villa somewhere on the shores of Lake Como, in Italy. To picture the outside, think of Anakin and Padme's wedding scene from "Star Wars, Attack of the Clones." The villa isn't large, but big enough for my master bedroom, which takes up the entire third floor and includes a gym, and for five guest bedrooms on the second floor, for friends who want to visit. Of course, each bedroom has its own bathroom complete with a sauna, a jetted tub and a shower. The ground floor consists of a large gourmet kitchen, where I don't actually spend that much time, because Signora Gallo, a sweet, grandmotherly older woman, reigns there and cooks for me and any guests I might have. She works every day of the week. Naturally. Also on the ground floor is the spacious sitting room, tastefully decorated in whatever style I'm in the mood for, and then there's the library, which is extensive and so large you could actually get lost. Luckily, I keep a few St. Bernard dogs on hand and each row of the library is equipped with a refrigerator full of snacks so you won't starve while waiting for rescue! Best of all, George Clooney is no longer living in the neighborhood, having decided to quit acting and spend his time as a hermit, living on bugs and bat quano in a cave somewhere in Tibet. This is where I escape to in my head. Some day, I'm sure, it will be a reality. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds lovely! Next time you're there, you'll have to have some gelato for me!

      Delete