Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, June 10, 2013

A Novel in Letters

So, I just finished the Screwtape Letters, and I find the idea of the whole novel in letters facinating!  I mean, who didn't love "The Gurnsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society"?  What I'd really find interesting would be a modern take - maybe a novel written completely in text messages.  (Of course, then I wouldn't be able read it.  I'm so bad at text speech, I'd be lost at the first line!

The prompt this week:
Write a Letter

Have fun!

************************************************

My response:

Dear Adele,

I honestly don't know why you feel compelled to stay for spring term at the Academy.  You know how much we have to do in preparations for your upcoming nuptuals, and I need you here with me to help put things together.  What does finishing your minor in interplanetary species diversity even matter when you'll be married to a man who rules three planets?!

Don't be silly, of course we'll cover the cost of your classes, we are your parents.  Not to mention how undignified it is to wait on local tourists.  You can just inform your boss that you're not in need of the money afterall.  I've transfered funds to your account, enough for your expenses, and also enough for a dress.  If you must stay on Altar until just before the wedding, you'll have to make due with whatever you can find for a dress there.  For my sake, please stick with a traditional color, gold or silver.  If you come home with a black dress, I will tear it to pieces with my own hands, and then you'll be forced to wear your Grandmother's old rag of a dress that she keeps trying to push on me.

Your Loving,
Mother

*************************************************

Ok, so I don't know how well letter writing fits in a sci-fi, but this is all about trying things out, right?

3 comments:

  1. Marie sat down at her desk and pulled open the top drawer. She stared down at the unorganized contents: two rulers, a handful of paperclips, a few sticky-note pads, a short stack of paper, and a dozen pens and pencils rubber-banded together. How could she possibly explain what has been happening? How was she supposed to tell her mother where she was going?

    "Dead Mom and Derek," said Marie out loud. "You won't believe this, but something has taken over the minds of everyone in this town, even the police. We crossed paths with the wrong person and now everyone is chasing us. You have no idea where we are and we're not going to tell you, but don't worry. We'll be fine...right."

    Closing the drawer after she took out a pen from the rubber-banded pack and a sheet of paper, Marie sighed and leaned into the desk to write what would probably be the worst letter ever written.

    Mom and Derek,

    I can't explain much, but I couldn't leave without giving you some idea of what has happened to us. We're being pursued by someone dangerous. The broken window in the front room is a result of that pursuit, and we have to leave. The police can't help. Please believe me when I say we'll all be safer if we stay away.

    We'll contact you as soon as we can.

    love,
    Marie

    Marie read the letter over. Yes, it did sound ridiculous, but she couldn't explain anything else without sounding like a lunatic. Maybe she was a lunatic.

    A sudden sense of urgency rushed through her body. She was wasting time. Without bothering to put it in an envelope, Marie rushed to the master bedroom, folding up the note as she went and placed it under her mother's pillow.

    They had to leave. Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to know why they're running, and why it's not safe to contact the cops and everything! Good Job!

      Delete
  2. Wah! Ha! I love your ideas for stories!

    ReplyDelete