Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A note about characters ...

So, after posting yesterday's prompt, I came across this blog post by Veronica Roth, author of Divergent.  It's all about knowing a character vs. knowing about a character.  She shared a quote from Marilynne Robinson, who said:

"There is a great difference in fiction and in life between knowing someone and knowing about someone. When a writer knows about his character he is writing for plot. When he knows his character he is writing to explore, to feel reality on a set of nerves somehow not quite his own."

I think that explained for me why I can understand my characters more when I got back and write a scene from earlier in their lives (earlier than when they enter my story, I mean).  I can list their physical attributes, their birthplace, their jobs, etc ... but it's not until I put myself in their place and experience their reality that I start to understand who they are and how they'll behave in the context of my book.

There's no new prompt to go along with this one ... just an interesting thought. 

Now go read "Divergent" and let me know what you think of it.  :-)