Rules

Rules:
1. Read the writing prompt, but only the prompt. I don't want your writing to be influenced by my (or anyone else's) response.
2. Sit down and spend 15-30 min writing whatever comes to mind. Poetry, prose, whatever you want, just write something. Don't make it something you labor over. Write. Enjoy.
3. Share in the comments.
4. Please keep it PG-13 and under. Don't go all 50 Shades or Chucky on me.
5. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism. This is not one of them. This is a stretching exercise. Please remember the words of Thumper, "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
***All material on this site remains the property of the original author. Do not copy or share without permission. Thank you! **


Monday, March 18, 2013

The wheel is still spinning

This prompt is thanks to some old friends I had in high school.  They used to say, "The wheel is still spinning, but the hamster is dead." 

It's just a variation on, "No cups in the cupboard," but the imagery of it is so much more ... dramatic?

So, in honor of old friends, this week's prompt is:

"The wheel is still spinning, but the hamster is dead."

*******************************************************

My response:

I stood at the counter.  The kitchen smelled of french fries and chicken nuggets, and the air was heavy with evaporated oil.  I could feel it settling on my cheeks and forehead. 

The sounds of children playing rang out from the other room.  At least, until a shrill cry pierced the playful chatter.  It was McKensie.  I waited.  The cry died down and the chatter resumed. 

Crisis averted.  For now.

I looked down at the cookie sheet covered in foil.  I wouldn't need to wash the cookie sheet, the foil was still intact.  I'd just have to throw away the foil.  I reached down.

The red casserole dish still sat on my counter.  I counted the days.  Six.  It was about time I get it back to Jennifer.  Mom always said to never return an empty dish.  Maybe I should bake cookies tomorrow ...

I looked up at the spatula I was trying to stuff into the vase that held the larger utinsels on my counter.  The rubber handle was sticking and didn't want to go in.  Then I noticed the french fry crumbs and a few smears of oil on the end.  Why was I putting a dirty spatula away?

I looked down at the cookie sheet, still covered in foil.  I had meant to put it away, and it didn't need to be cleaned ...

I yanked the door of the dishwasher down and tossed the dirty spatula on the top rack, glad that it hadn't gone into the vase easily.  At least the greasy top hadn't touched the rest of the utinsels.

Then I reached for the cookie tray, yanking the foil off.  I kept it in the pantry/laundry room just a few feet down the hall from the kitchen, so I headed there, intent on putting it away. 

I glanced into the living room as I passed the doorway.  The kids were more playing than cleaning up, but at least I was going to be able to get the dishes done.

The door of the pantry swung in with a squeak, and I tossed something into the dirty hamper.  Then I stopped.

Why had I just tossed a balled-up wad of tin foil into the dirty clothes hamper?

I blinked. 

The cookie sheet still sat on the stove.

I snatched the tin foil back out of the dirty clothes and tossed it into the trash can.

I stalked into the kitchen, picked up the clean cookie sheet, turned and walked directly back into the pantry, and put it in the pile of flat baking impliments.

Cursed cookie sheet.

2 comments:

  1. "No, seriously, you guys. The hamster is dead."

    Alan, Dustin, and Jorge leaned in closer.

    "Oh, sh*t," Dustin whispered in a long drawn out breath. He couldn't peel his eyes away from the cage, the hamster laying belly up beside the spinning wheel.

    "Mr. Helmbolt is going to k-k-kk-kill us," Alan offered, a hint of terror betraying the stutter he generally kept well under control.

    "No, he's not," Jorge said placidly, "because we're going to kill him first."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew's hamster died last week... on his birthday. I really have no idea where this little blurb is headed but I couldn't move past the literal death of the hamster. :)

    ReplyDelete